Wednesday, June 30, 2004

House Warming a.k.a. Kenduri :)


It's now 1140pm. Alhamdulillah my house warming has officially ended just now as the last guest left the door. 50 guests were expected, and alhamdulillah almost all turned up. The food does not matter. I think something more important was achived today. A strengthened ukhuwwah amongst the sisters here, alhamdulillah.

I arrived home at 10am, 2 hours before my very own house warming started. I had some business at a friend's place, and did my cooking part at my friend's house. When i reached home, i felt very touched that 2 of my friends whom i hardly know had decided to volunteer and help us set up the place. Everybody was so helpful and i felt the environment was filled with love - sisterhood love. The love for Islam. It was really beautiful.

Then my friends from Canberra, Brisbane, Clayton and Qaanitaat arrived. They all arrived almost at the same time. Then my neighbours came. They were from Greek, Cyprus, and Italy. Then my landlord arrived with soem cakes. It was sooo beautiful. :)

But when one of my neighbour arrived i was not aware of it and i was not wearing my hijab, and i quickly wore it after that,though they were all old grandmothers. But she saw me without it. And i didn't feel comfortable because later she mentioned about my hijab. And then she wanted to see it again also after i had worn it on.

Recalling my experience when me and my friend knocked at the nearest neighbours' doors to invite them over. There was a house which looked empty, and when we were about to ring the bell, we saw a sign "Jehova Witnesses are not allowed to enter..bla..bla."
And me and my friend thought "Oh no, we are muslims! They must hate us more!". And we ran as fast as we could. Scary. Then we asked the neighbouring neighbour about that house, and she mentioned the people living there is not very friendly.

And there was a neighbour who actually said "I am sorry, i can't do that." when we invited her over. Maybe she is a staunch Christian and can't accept a Muslim's invitation? Hmmm. And there was one neighbour whose dog was the first one to greet us at the door. It was scary. And there were some neighbours whom we couldn't keep in touch. And some whom couldn't make it because of work. :(

All in all, it's been a good day. I hoped that others had achieved something more than just good food today. I certainly have. They say small things can be made big things because of our intentions. And big things can be made trivial stuffs because of our intention too. If we came just for food, than that is all we got from it. A full stomach. But if we came because of Allah, then we will go home with something more than just food. But rewards for the HereAfter too. So let us all always renew our intentions so that our life will not just end meaninglessly in this world. For there is a much longer life after this. An everlasting one. Let us let it be our goal, and this world as a medium to reach it.


The (material) things which ye are given are but the conveniences of this life and the glitter thereof; but that which is with Allah is better and more enduring: will ye not then be wise? Al-Quran-28:60







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home